Savant

Last night's One doco was really interesting, it was about a Savant. That is a really bright person. As in really really bright.
But they tend to also have limited social skills and some cannot actually speak.
It is often the result of an accident and the line between genius and braindamage is extremely small.

Anyway, this Savant saw numbers, he saw texture, he saw size, he saw colour, for numbers. Thus he was able to do amazing calculations without actually doing them.

This lead me onto wonder: how do other people think?

I think through a conversation in my head. One side prompting, the other side explaining, trying to figure out what the answer is. Is this normal?
I had a ex who said she thought through colour. Is that normal? Would it explain why she was artistic and a bitch?

So, how do you think?
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Mellie at 27/6/05 5:16 PM said

I saw Mercury Rising and I've just been thinking about the very same thing...I reckon that I can think through music, but that's probably because I'm a musician andI'vebeen doing it since I was a kid.

Kind of like seeing timestables? I can 'see' up to 10x10 as in 9x9 just 'is' 81. That's proablby repetition.

I think the delay between thoughts in Savants is smaller than normal people in terms that calculations occur much quicker and that kind of thing but perhaps the motor side of things is affected or less advanced?

As to your ex, I can't comment and I wouldn't like to either. :)    



» Post a Comment